DATA ANALYTICS APPLICATION DEVELOPER II | Full Time
Develops, delivers, and maintains high-quality application solutions, software infrastructure, and analysis services to internal and external clients to enable new data-driven insights of energy efficiency program and project performance and to capitalize on opportunities for innovation and increased impact. Continuously improves the data analytics software infrastructure, utilizing best practices for software development, data management, and data analysis. Assists in the development of automation, prototypes, and proof-of-concepts as needed to validate and implement data analysis requirements, workflows, techniques, and methods. Conducts all software development lifecycle tasks as part of the Data Analytics team, contributing to a mission-driven, creative, enjoyable, and stimulating work environment.
- Produces, implements, and supports data analytics software for internal and external clients
- Designs, develops, documents, and maintains software solutions enabling the derivation of useful information from available data sources, such as Smart Meter (AMI) data; sub-meter, smart thermostat, and other sensor data; building operations and production data; public data; etc. as part of VEIC’s custom software environment
- Continuously reviews and improves data acquisition, management, and analysis systems, applications, and tools as needed, ensuring quality, security, and alignment with internal and industry best practices
- Participates in solution development process, including aspects of software and data architecture; user requirements; user interface/experience design; testing/QA; maintenance; documentation; source code control; continuous integration and release management.
Preferred skills in:
- ability in C# and .NET technologies
- experience in DevOps and software release practices
- subject matter expertise in timeseries data management and analysis techniques
- subject matter expertise in energy industry data and practices
- Strong personal commitment to the mission, vision, goals and values of VEIC
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, statistics, and/or engineering or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing software, preferably including at least 3 years of direct experience with data-centric software development, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills were acquired
- Fluency in one or more programming languages, preferably Python and SQL
- Demonstrated ability with most of the following (or comparable systems with ability to learn quickly): Flask and Django, SQLAlchemy, REST API, Gunicorn, Nginx, Linux, Docker, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL
- Exposure to some of the following (or comparable systems and software with ability to learn quickly): AWS EKS, ECR, Fargate, Lambda, S3; Redis, Snowflake, Dask, Apache Airflow
- Proficiency with data mining, information retrieval, machine learning, and/or statistics; documentation of analysis procedures and functions; development of analysis and computational tools
- Proficiency with data acquisition concepts, software, libraries
- Proficiency with refactoring, unit testing, and object-oriented programming techniques
- Experience using version control systems such as Git
- Demonstrated ability to be organized, detail-oriented, accurate, and able to handle multiple tasks and competing priorities in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to put together concise, articulate communications to internal stakeholders
- Ability to communicate with non-technical stakeholders to define and document project requirements
- Experience in facilitation, reviewing work of others, communications, and the ability to develop and attain goals
- Demonstrated ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate, develop/implement, and adopt new technologies
- Ability to mentor and cross-train more junior members of the team
Internal – Work is normally performed in climate controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computers, telephones, etc.). No known environmental hazards are encountered in normal performance of job duties.
External – No travel is required.
Work involves standing and walking for brief periods of time, but most duties are performed from a seated position. There is potential for eyestrain from reading detailed materials and computer screen. Deadlines, workloads during peak periods and changing priorities may cause increased stress levels. Work may include occasional pushing, pulling, or carrying objects weighing of approximately 40 pounds such as files, documents, and computer equipment and materials. Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboards at a moderate skill level. Repetitive motion injuries may occur. Company will provide adaptive devices as needed.
All candidates should apply at veic.org. Please be sure to include resume and cover letter with application.