Green Mountain Transit
Controller | Full Time
Location: 101 Queen City Park Road Extension, South Burlington, VT, USA
Description and Essential Functions:
Serves as a team leader in the Finance Department, ensuring the department creates accurate and timely financial records for the organization, including but not limited to the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls. Ensures that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and state and federal financial reporting standards:
- Serves as a leader in the Finance Department by providing training, guidance, and technical expertise and leading and managing change
- Manages and directs the development of the Authority’s monthly financial reporting ensuring preparation in accordance with applicable accounting standards and set practices
- Oversees monthly and yearly accounting close processes including journal entries, account reconciliations, and assists the Director of Finance in analytical reviews of operating results and stakeholder materials
- Ensures compliance with all relevant accounting standards and assists in both internal and external grant/contract expenditures and reporting requirements
- Produces and directly oversees the production of all financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements, as well as the production of the monthly Cost Allocation Plan
- Oversees, reviews, and approves all payments related to payroll processing
- Coordinates the annual financial audit and oversees the activities of independent auditors
- Assists the Director of Finance in ensuring the Authority maintains an environment of strong internal controls
- Regularly reviews the Authority’s outstanding receivables and works with stakeholders and customers to manage delinquent balances
- Supports the Director of Finance in financial planning & analysis activities including budget development, recommendations for cost containment, and the development of long-term financing strategies
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Salary Range: Up to $81,000 based on experience
A combination of education and/or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Additional experience, as outlined below, may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Education and/or Experience: A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; equivalent experience may be substituted; a minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience working in the daily operations of a financial department, with at least three (3) years in a management level position. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google products, and the ability to become proficient in Microsoft Great Plains Accounting software.
Essential Job Skills and Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Essential duties are performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Must be a team player, possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to handle multiple competing priorities. Strong attention to detail, efficient time management skills, flexible, adaptable, and strong organizational skills. Experience working in a union environment is preferred.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. GMT provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Physical Requirements: Operates in a professional office environment; and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Frequent computer use and sitting for long periods of time are required. Requires occasional long hours, evening, and weekend work. Ability to bend, stoop, and climb stairs; must be able to lift 75 pounds. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
GMT is committed to providing a workplace that includes people of diverse backgrounds and fully utilizes their talents to achieve its mission. GMT believes that an inclusive and diverse workplace culture enhances the performance of our organization and our ability to fulfill the agency’s mission.
GMT is an equal employment opportunities (EEO) employer to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services. In addition to federal law requirements, GMT complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Apply using the link below: