Local Motion Inc.
Complete Streets Program Associate | Full Time
Location: 1 Steele Street, Burlington, VT, USA
Local Motion is Vermont’s statewide advocate for active transportation, vibrant communities, and safe streets. Based in Burlington Vermont, we work at the local and state levels to support better infrastructure for biking and walking, teach bike skills training programs for children and adults, collaborate with government to improve on-road safety, and inspire and support local advocates across Vermont to become leaders for better biking and walking in their communities.
The Complete Streets Program Associate supports Local Motion’s infrastructure-related advocacy and technical assistance work at the community level. The Associate will work with other staff to provide an integrated set of Local Motion’s programming that is tailored to meet specific needs and supports efforts to make biking and walking part of everyday life locally.
The Associate will also assist with the development of key resources, including Learning Network events and guides, that empower and train communities to make progress on walk/bike issues without requiring direct Local Motion staff involvement. The Associate may also contribute to Local Motion’s policy and legislative advocacy at the state level.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Implement technical assistance programming and advocacy efforts in communities statewide.
- Provide direct technical assistance to municipalities, schools, local bike/walk groups, and other stakeholders in a variety of ways, including:
- Regularly attending local walk/bike committee and group meetings
- Assisting with review of local bike and walk infrastructure, identification of opportunities, and goal setting
- Assisting with the design and implementation of Community Walk/Bike Surveys, Pop-Up demonstration projects, and other capacity-building initiatives to effect change
- Providing general guidance and support to increase the effectiveness of local walk/bike groups and committees, including assisting with the creation of new groups and committees, meeting coordination, and strategic planning
- Deploy a wide range of online and offline strategies for mobilizing community support for on-the-ground change, including using Local Motion’s NationBuilder community organizing platform
- Identify and support high-priority local and regional advocacy efforts
Empower and train communities to make progress on issues facing people who walk, bike, and roll in Vermont.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of local issues related to walking and biking in Vermont’s rural and urban communities, and best practices for addressing these issues
- Contribute to thought leadership and collaborate with staff to provide an informed perspective on a host of challenges and solutions facing Vermont communities
- In collaboration with other program staff, design and lead in-person and online trainings, webinars, and other opportunities to assist local partners with expanding their knowledge and capacity.
- Support the development of guides and other resources for both internal and external use, which expand staff and community capacity and knowledge needed to effect change
Background and experience in community organizing and supporter engagement; experience with contact management software a plus
- Experience in transportation planning, urban planning or community design
- Interest in, or experience with, the inner workings of local and state government
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills, including the ability to listen and seek consensus in both individual and group settings
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with a demonstrated ability to track and manage multiple projects
- Proven track record of engaging reliably and consistently with a variety of partners
- Ability to work independently with little day-to-day supervision, as well as collaborate effectively with a team
- Strong computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office and Google Suite, and willingness and aptitude for new program skill development; design software skills a plus
- A passion for active transportation and a commitment to advocacy for safe walking, biking, and rolling
- Willingness to travel around Vermont (approximately 10%-15% of job)
- Willingness to attend occasional evening and weekend meetings and activities
Full job description is at our website: www.localmotion.org/join_our_team
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with Complete Streets Program Associate in the subject line. Three references will be required before the end of the hiring process.
Local Motion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are looking for candidates who will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the organization.