Commercial Outside Sales Representative | Full Time
Category: Environmental Products/Services
Location: 85 Swift Street, South Burlington, VT, USA
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Commercial Outside Sales Representative is responsible for selling VGS products and services though lead generation, trainings, educational sessions, and presentations, all while providing exceptional customer service. This individual possesses the skills necessary to advise customers on energy-related matters and make the best recommendations for each unique commercial customer’s needs. This position will work closely with the Sales & Marketing Manager to understand current product and service offerings and deliver these offerings to our commercial customers, with a focus to meet Vermonters’ energy needs and VGS’s Climate Plan; Net Zero by 2050. This position provides technical assistance, promotion, and marketing of VGS programs, including natural gas service, energy efficiency programs, new and existing product and service offerings, as well as recommendation on improved commercial customer service through the EEU or new products and services. The ideal Commercial Outside Sales Representative is adaptive, flourishes in a fast-paced environment, is self-motivated, and genuinely passionate about the energy future of Vermont.
WHAT ARE THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION?
- Proactively generates commercial leads and follows up on leads as needed.
- Tracks against specific metrics and adjust sales strategies accordingly to reach milestones and goals as set out by the company and Sales & Marketing Manager.
- Establishes and maintains strong working relationships with both potential and existing commercial and industrial customers. Provides high quality customer service and maintains close contact with customers during project development to ensure effective solutions that meet customers’ needs.
- Provides technical assistance and analysis on energy-related issues, utilizing in-house and outside resources/partnerships as needed.
- Expands market opportunities, consistent with the company’s growth goals and objectives.
- Calculates energy usage, energy savings, renewable natural gas costs, and cost/benefit ratios.
- Responsible for preparing customer contracts and cost estimates for all commercial leads and responds to customer questions regarding VGS services.
- Works closely with internal partners (Construction, Engineering, Field Services, Energy Efficiency, Finance) to ensure work is coordinated effectively to guarantee the customer receives the highest level of streamlined service.
- Fosters mutually beneficial relationships with architects, engineers, contractors, consultants, and commercial trade allies.
- Explores and promotes new opportunities and technologies which enhance VGS products and services as related to energy efficiency, natural gas, and decarbonization while maintaining Natural Gas Code regulations. Works with Sales & Marketing /Team to identify process gaps and suggest improvements.
- Track all sales activity and customer interactions utilizing Salesforce to keep customer information current and transparent to the entire team.
- Participate in all internal and external “key accounts” meetings as requested.
- Perform other duties as required or requested.
DESIRED SKILLS FOR THIS ROLE?
- Self-starter who appreciates setting and achieving goals.
- Able to work effectively in a fluctuating environment balancing a variety of tasks such as managing customer communications, Salesforce, training, and process-improvement projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment.
- Effective negotiating skills with the ability to reach mutually beneficial terms for both customers and the Company.
- A positive attitude and excellent communication skills with various stakeholders.
- Project management skills with great attention to detail.
- Able to meet or exceed individual as well as company goals
- Can work successfully in a remote capacity.
- Ability to analyze and problem solve effectively, sometimes with limited information or oversight.
- Organized and accurate, especially when working with customer information.
- High degree of professional persistence in regard to follow-ups both internally and externally.
- Clear and effective communicator, a responsive listener, and an efficient collaborator
- Ability to flourish in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment that requires
- Adapts easily to changing needs of our customers and work environment.
- Knowledge of commercial mechanical systems operation, financing, and maintenance.
- Excellent technology skills – must have working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, Salesforce, and customer information systems.
These skills are normally acquired with a bachelor’s degree in business, communications, engineering, or related field and 3+ years of sales experience or equivalent years of industry related experience.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION STATEMENT
We are committed to building a work community that is inclusive and represents a vibrant diversity of background, experience, perspective, and thought. Chances are, if you are considering applying for this position, you have transferable skills that will help you be successful in this role. Candidates across all markers of identity (age, race, gender, ability, communication style, etc.) are highly encouraged to apply, even if every skill requirement does not match perfectly, because we believe in continuous improvement and support our employees in achieving goals and objectives.