Downstreet Housing & Community Development
Chief Operating Officer | Full Time
Location: 22 Keith Avenue, Barre, VT, USA
Position Title: Chief Operating Officer
Date Analyzed: January 2019
Position Status: Full-Time
Pay Status: Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Coordinates with: Director of Advancement
Directly Supervises: Director of Property and Asset Management, Director of HomeOwnership Programs, Director or Real Estate Development, Controller
The COO is a key member of Downstreet’s executive team, providing leadership, direction, and oversight of Downstreet’s operations. The COO is an important thought partner to the ED. This individual models operational excellence, prudent controls, tactics, policies, and procedures to sustain and improve Downstreet’s financial strength and operational efficiency. Using strong mentoring, the COO will support the leadership team with their operational and organizational efforts. The COO will manage cross-departmental operational efforts ensuring consistency of practice in areas such as customer service and human resources. The COO drives Downstreet’s excellent customer experience and positive work environment (a Great Place to Work) and culture in collaboration with the Executive and Leadership Teams.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Provide mentoring, supervision and oversight to each line of business director.
- Collaborate with Leadership Team to develop and implement staffing plans to ensure operational efficiencies while achieving organizational goals.
- Provide oversight and systems thinking to the development and refinement of internal management systems, controls, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance with all applicable grant, contract, and legal requirements.
- Foster and support a culture of excellence and teamwork, ensuring positive results through accountability, strong communication, and cross-departmental collaboration as appropriate.
- Develop and oversee an organization wide approach to excellent customer service
- Lead staff, manager, and special project meetings as needed.
- In collaboration with the Executive team, develop and manage the budget focusing on the cost effectiveness of Downstreet’s Programs.
- Monitor budget-to-actual variances monthly and report variances to the Executive Team.
- Identify and anticipate resource requirements and leverage funding opportunities, relationships, strategies, partnerships, and alliances to meet those needs.
- Supports Directors in developing and implementing short-term and long-range plans for funding.
Community Public Relations
- Be a passionate, knowledgeable spokesperson for Downstreet’s mission and work.
- Represent Downstreet as a leader in local and national trade groups or affiliations as needed.
- Represent Downstreet before all bodies as appropriate and maintain positive public relations in all activities.
- Works with Executive Director to maintain strong positive relationships with other housing organizations, lenders and providers of grants.
- Perform other duties as requested by Executive Director.
- Carry out duties required in Emergency Succession Plan on behalf of Executive Director if necessary.
- A bachelor’s degree with emphasis in public or business administration, economics, planning or similar course work and/or equivalent experience in organizational leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership and direction of a nonprofit agency with strong social and programmatic commitments.
- Commitment to social and economic justice.
- Proven ability to use innovative, entrepreneurial approaches to solve problems and improve organizational strength and effectiveness.
- Strong mentoring skills and ability to delegate authority effectively.
- Excellent ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with members, employees, Board members, government officials and the public.
Physical and Mental abilities: The Chief Operating Officer must have the physical and mental abilities to perform the essential job duties listed above. However, reasonable accommodation may be extended to help perform those duties. The job entails evening and weekend work, significant travel and long periods of sitting at a desk. There may be prolonged periods of computer work. While performing the essential duties of this job the Chief Operating Officer may have to use hands and fingers, walk, stand, reach, or lift up to 25 pounds.
Employer Rights and Disclaimers:
This job description is a list of duties and expectations. However, it should not be considered a complete list of expected duties. Duties may be added, dropped, or changed at any time.
The job qualifications may change at any time. Downstreet may add, drop, or change any qualifications for the position in order to fit changes in the organization. This job description should not be interpreted as a complete list of job qualifications.
This document does not extend an offer for permanent or continuous employment. Downstreet is an at-will employer.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit you application on our website at https://downstreet.org/about-us/employment-opportunities/