Chief Operating Officer | Full Time
Location: Brattleboro, VT 05301, USA
BuildingGreen is a mission-driven company fostering more sustainable practices in the design and construction industry through our digital content and services. Our company has a strong team approach, with dedicated staff that can also work independently without getting distracted. We have a hybrid team of 15 employees, most of whom work in or near our Brattleboro, VT office. Please note that the COO position is NOT remote and candidates must be within commuting distance of Brattleboro or have the ability to (independently) relocate to the area within three months.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) at BuildingGreen is a dual role that combines the functions of a chief executive and a manager. They design and implement policies to promote the Company’s culture and vision and oversee operations to keep daily activities aligned with strategic goals and the Company’s mission. The COO works directly with the President to run the company. They ensure that information, ideas, and details are transferred from employees to the President and from the President to employees. They also liaise across departments to maximize work efficiency and optimize employee relations.
The COO is the chief administrator for Human Resources in the Company. They provide both strategic leadership as well as functional support to all HR responsibilities. Successful candidates will have direct experience in Human Resources, with or without having had that title at previous employers.
- Oversee daily operations of the company and the work of managers and departments
- Establish policies and develop protocols that promote Company culture and vision; ensure that Company culture is related to the mission
- Assist in the development of the strategic plan and related plans and protocols to ensure day-to-day operations are aligned with it
- Lead the Management Team and ensure there is timely, thorough, and clear communication between it and the rest of the Company
- Perform administrative duties as needed to ensure the execution of strategic responsibilities
- Assist in setting and monitoring Company performance and growth goals
- Manage relationships with partners/vendors
- Lead, and functionally contribute to, maintaining B Corp certification
- Provide oversight to all Human Resources matters, ensuring compliance with necessary employment laws and best practices
- Ensure there is alignment of talent and company goals/strategic plan
- Provide strategic oversight (and when needed, direct support) to recruiting process
- Ensure onboarding process is thorough and followed for each new employee
- Provide critical support to maintaining employee relations
- Provide strategic leadership and functional support for performance management system and employee development
- Lead Company Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts, policies, and plans
- Facilitate employee departures to ensure compliance with Company policies and practices
- Provide strategic oversight for benefits and payroll
Required Skills & Abilities
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- Excellent capacity to maintain discretion with Company information;
- Experience as Chief Operating Office or relevant role
- Understanding of business functions such as HR, Finance, marketing, etc.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure, Google Workplace, and MS Office
Working collaboratively and supporting each other is part of the company culture. The COO will be part of this dynamic, but will not have a dedicated assistant for their functional and administrative duties.
This position requires financial literacy and excellent communication skills. An ability to develop comfort with our work and mission will enable positive synergy with the rest of our staff, and help provide room for advancement.
Relocation funds are not available to assist a candidate with moving to the area.
For more about the company and team you will be working with, please see our about page here: https://www.buildinggreen.com/about
Our office is professional yet casual. We’ve hosted meetings with congressmen and major NGOs, but you’ll also see bare feet and dogs.
A cover letter providing additional details about your interest in this position and working at BuildingGreen is required. Resumes received without a cover letter will not be considered. Please apply via the Indeed job post.
Compensation & Benefits:
- $90,000.00 – $120,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Please follow this link to apply via Indeed.