Associate Dean for Marketing & Communications | Full Time
Location: PO Box 72
The Associate Dean for Marketing & Communications reports to the Dean of Advancement and is responsible for designing and implementing marketing and communication strategies that increase public knowledge and understanding of, and appreciation for, Sterling College so that it may further the reach of its ecological thinking and action mission.
The person in this role will be our “storyteller” through leadership of institutional brand, marketing and communications strategy, and priority setting and management. The Associate Dean will develop and implement marketing and public relations strategies for all of Sterling College’s programs including the Wendell Berry Farming Program and continuing education programs of the School of the New American Farmstead. This position requires significant hands-on engagement as well as collaborating with and empowering staff across the institution and the utilization and management of external consultants to get the work done.
The Associate Dean must have a personal interest in our mission of ecological thinking and action and support the College’s vision of being a community in which people of all backgrounds and identities feel at home, where differences are embraced and individuals take responsibility for furthering the dignity of all.
- Serve as a strategic resource to the President’s Council, providing expertise on branding, marketing, and internal and external communications.
- Oversee the creation of effective and innovative strategies to enhance the College’s brand recognition regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Align the College’s brand and key messaging with its long-term strategic plan.
- Develop and oversee branding, marketing, and communications processes/protocols that ensure effective and timely execution of message and distribution.
- Lead the development and implementation of the College’s electronic communications efforts, including website, search engine optimization, eNewsletters, social media strategy and implementation, and major print materials (eg. admission viewbook, magazine, brochures, advancement materials).
- Oversee the College’s earned media strategy.
- Align written and graphic stories, both printed and web-based communications, with overall marketing strategy and the College’s Strategic Initiative.
- Establish and support ongoing institutional assessment of marketing effectiveness and brand knowledge.
- Work closely with the Dean of Advancement, Vice President, Dean of Admission, and Dean of Professional Studies to ensure student recruitment and fundraising goals are achieved using an institutional brand and in line with the institutional marketing strategy.
- Collaborate with the Vice President and the Dean of Academics in the use of institutional research to lead a data/metrics-driven approach to marketing strategy and measurement.
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
5 or more years of progress growth in professional responsibility that demonstrates:
- Knowledge of areas related to the curriculum including agriculture, ecology, and education.
- Exceptional organization and ability to work under deadlines and at a fast pace.
- Acute awareness and attentiveness to detail on tasks, big and small.
- Adaptability to changing schedules or priorities.
- Care, concern, and congeniality in interactions with others.
- Empathetic approach to work and intuitive awareness of the needs of others.
- Humility and humor under pressure.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Experience working in higher education or environmental causes.
- Master’s Degree.
This is a full-time, exempt, at-will position with frequent weekend and evening commitments.
The finalist must be willing to submit to credit and criminal pre-employment screening.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Paid sick leave and vacation
- Paid holidays
- Parental leave
- Paid Bereavement
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Retirement Contribution
Sterling College is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The position will remain open until an appointment has been made, but application review will begin immediately. Candidates should send the following materials electronically: cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references. References will not be contacted without candidate permission. Application materials should be addressed and emailed as a single PDF file to: Christina Goodwin, Dean of Advancement & Alumni Relations (firstname.lastname@example.org).