Downstreet Housing & Community Development
Accountant | Full Time
Location: 22 Keith Avenue, Barre, VT, USA
Are you looking for a job with purpose? Join the Downstreet family and be a part of our passionate, mission-driven team!
We are Downstreet.
We are a private, mission-driven, not-for-profit organization dedicated to delivering social justice through the power of housing. We pride ourselves on connecting people to the resources they need to thrive and creating equitable opportunities for everyone in Central Vermont to access safe, healthy homes. Through our work we strengthen the health and future of our local communities.
Our staff is vital to the successful fulfillment of our mission, and we have a responsibility to ensure the stability of our programs and services by attracting and retaining the best talent Vermont has to offer. This understanding has lead us to devote a significant effort toward the continual improvement of our workplace with the ultimate goal of becoming a known and preferred employer in Vermont. In 2019 we proudly became one of 51 organizations on the Vermont’s Best Places to Work list.
We offer competitive salaries and a robust benefits package in addition to a workplace that appreciates and understands the value of a healthy work-life balance. But what really sets us apart is the genuine dedication our entire staff has to working together in service to our communities. We continually work to create opportunities for our staff so that they can pursue a fulfilling career carrying out meaningful work at our mission-driven organization.
Job Description: Accountant
The Accountant position is a full-time, salaried position supervised by the CFO. The Accountant is responsible for the corporate accounting of Downstreet Housing & Community Development. Downstreet is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to strengthen the communities of Central Vermont by engaging with people, providing affordable homes, and connecting people to the resources and services they need to thrive.
- Process tenant receivables in accounting system (Boston Post); scan all checks, prepare deposit tickets and make bank deposits.
- Initiate and process authorized agreements for pre-arranged payments and ACH payments.
- Process tenant security deposits, refunds or transfers.
- Perform accounts receivable reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Maintain current accounts receivable files.
- Receive and verify all invoices and requisitions for goods and services for Downstreet administration, Downstreet owned properties, limited partnership properties, and managed properties.
- Verify that all A/P transactions comply with financial policies and procedures.
- Prepare batches of invoices for data entry, including verifying coding of each invoice by property, grant, fund, project, etc.
- Obtain department approval on all invoices to be paid.
- Manage and monitor all questionable invoices, investigate any that seem out of the norm. Discuss with appropriate department head.
- Enter data for all invoices and maintenance of current vendor information.
- Manage check runs for all AP batches. This also includes the maintenance of all bank account check stock and deposit tickets, and reordering as needed.
- Obtain signatures on checks and prepare for mailing.
- Maintain current accounts payable files.
- Perform accounts payable reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations on accounts as assigned by the CFO.
- Generate monthly financial statements for properties as assigned by the CFO.
- Complete monthly trial balance reconciliations on properties as assigned by the CFO.
- Prepare quarterly reports as assigned by CFO.
- Prepare VT Landlord’s Certificates, Nonprofit Mobile Home Parks and lease land property tax allocable letter in accordance with directives from the Vermont Department of taxes.
- Calculate and prepare all vendors 1099’s at year end.
- Compute estimated taxes and prepare tax deposits for 990T, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting or other tax requirement.
- Provide assistance in yearly audit preparations, including researching, compiling and verifying all needed documents per auditor’s request.
- Create and post journal entries as needed, with the approval of the CFO.
- Process replacement reserve transfers as needed.
- Provide CFO with support related to processing payroll, human resources duties and the management of administrative and property insurance as needed.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Provide support to CFO and other members of the accounting department as needed.
Desired Job Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree with emphasis in public or business administration, accounting or similar course work and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience with non-profit accounting.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and initiative in solving problems.
- Must possess working knowledge of Word and Excel spreadsheets.
- Commitment to social and economic justice.
- Excellent ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with residents and fellow employees.
Physical and Mental Abilities
The Accountant must have the physical and mental abilities to perform the essential job duties listed above. However, reasonable accommodation may be extended to help perform those duties. There will be prolonged periods of computer work. While performing the essential duties of this job the Accountant may have to use hands and fingers, walk, stand, reach, or lift up to 25 pounds.
Employer Rights and Disclaimers
This job description is not a contract for employment; it is a list of duties and expectations. However, this should not be considered a complete list of expected duties. Duties may be added, dropped, or changed at any time.
The job qualifications may change at any time. Downstreet may add, drop, or change any qualifications for the position in order to fit changes in the organization. This job description should not be interpreted as a complete list of job qualifications.
This document does not extend an offer for permanent or continuous employment. Downstreet is an at-will employer.
Deadline: July 10, 2020 12:00 am
To apply for this position, please complete the form on our website at https://downstreet.org/employment-opportunities (form is at the bottom of the page).
Downstreet is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.