Tour Guide Intern | Summer
Hours Per Week: 20-40
Position Starts: May 2019
End Date: September 2019
Pay: $11.00/hr. plus tips
Location: Burlington, VT
Main Focus of Internship:
Do you like interacting with people? Are you social, friendly, and fun? Would you like to learn more about Vermont history, specifically Burlington? Would you like to be part of an eco-friendly form of hospitality?
As a Burlington Segway Tour guide you will be trained to operate a Segway and then lead a group on a tour of the waterfront, bike path and downtown Burlington. Tour guides will need to memorize an historical narrative and deliver that on the tour. As a tour guide, you will also book reservations and set up tours for people from all over. No prior experience is necessary. We will train employees on Segways and provide the narrative for the tour.
- An interest in Segways
- An interest in Burlington history
- A cheerful positive attitude
Desired Skills, Attributes and Knowledge
- Phone Skills
- Public Speaking
- Customer Service
- Team Work/Works well with others
- Previous tour guide experience is helpful but not required
- A knowledge of French is a plus
- First Aid/CPR training is also a plus
- Bicycle repair experience is also a plus
Work Environment / Culture
- Collaborative work
- Opportunity for all workers to contribute ideas
- Sense of community
- Independent/autonomous work
- Access to managers who can act as mentors
- Respect based upon accomplishments, not seniority
- Diversity valued, welcomed and encouraged
- Casual Dress
You get to be outside on the waterfront.
You get to meet people from all over the world.
You get to show off Burlington and show off your knowledge of its history and promote alternate forms of transportation.
Educational / Professional Development Outcomes
- Public Speaking
- Running a small business
- Customer service
- Time Management
Your application will consist of a cover letter and resume. Please direct your cover letter to Ruth Masters, Burlington Segways, 277 Pine St, Burlington, VT 05401 . Click on the”Apply” button on this page to complete an application form and upload your cover letter and resume. Position is available until filled.