Center for Vermont Elders
Research Intern | Fall
Hours Per Week: 20
Position Starts: September 15, 2019
End Date: 12 weeks
Location: Montpelier, VT
Main Focus of Internship:
Research & Analysis
The Community of Vermont Elders (COVE) is a private non-profit centrally located in Berlin, Vermont. COVE is a small but powerful advocacy and education organization serving the needs of older Vermonters since 1981. COVE has maintained a strong and consistent voice in public policy decision-making to ensure the dignity, security and well-being of all aging Vermonters.
COVE is hiring a Research Intern for a comparative policy analysis of programs to support people with dementia and co-existing complex needs and their caregivers. The Research Intern will conduct an environmental scan of publicly available documents related to Dementia care in Vermont and write a draft Jurisdictional Review of the materials. The intern will then conduct 8-12 qualitative interviews of employees and those with lived experience in the area of Dementia.
The Intern will be listed as first publisher on the Review, which will be published through the North American Observatory on Health Systems and Policies (NAO) at the University of Toronto.
- Experience conducting a document review and analysis
- BA or BS preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Fluency with Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.), and general comfort with technology applications (voice recording, etc.)
Additional Skills, Attributes, and Knowledge
- Access to a vehicle to travel to interviews;
- Some understanding or experience with Dementia and/or healthcare systems;Interest in healthcare policy;
- Ability to self-direct, meet deadlines, and communicate challenges effectively.
Educational and Professional Development Outcomes
The Intern will be listed as first publisher on the Jurisdictional Review, which will be published through the North American Observatory at the University of Toronto.
Work Environment / Culture
- Collaborative work
- Opportunity for all workers to contribute ideas
- Sense of community
- Independent/autonomous work
- Respect based upon accomplishments, not seniority
- Diversity valued, welcomed and encouraged
- Creative work
- Casual Dress
COVE is a small, open minded, creative organization. Our work schedules and office spaces are flexible. Our management style is inclusive of all. We explore policy and education as a team and are just starting down the path of research. This is a new direction for us and we are excited to work with the Intern to learn and develop our research capacity and process.
Staff at COVE are expected to be strong self-managers and self-motivators. We encourage staff to express their needs and work with them to ensure that they are met.
Your application will consist of a cover letter and resume. Please direct your cover letter to Ruby Baker, Executive Director, Community of Vermont Elders, P.O. Box 1276, Montpelier, VT 05601. Click on the”Apply” button on this page to complete an application form and upload your cover letter and resume.