Central Vermont Regional Planning Commission
Planning Technician Intern | ASAP
Hours Per Week: up to 40 hours
Position Starts: ASAP
End Date: September 30, 2020
Pay: $13.00/hour ($14 for returning technicians)
Location: Montpelier, VT
Main Focus of Internship:
Research & Analysis
Major areas of work may include land use, transportation, and/or climate change planning. Planning Technicians will complete one or more of the following:
- Inventory and map road erosion sites in support of municipal implementation of clean water projects,
- Conduct transportation counts and infrastructure assessments (bridges, culverts, public WiFi sites, sidewalks, etc.) to support public investments,
- Download and analyze data for incorporation into planning documents, such as transportation capital plans, local and regional plans, local energy plans, and local hazard mitigation plans,
- Produce GIS-based maps for completed inventories (as skills permit), and
- Assist other staff with community engagement, public outreach, and data research and analysis related to a variety of projects.
The majority of work is expected to be completed working in teams of two technicians. CVRPC employees are required to wear cloth face coverings and maintaining at least 6 feet social distancing when in the office and working in the field. Candidates must have their own means of transportation.
This position will begin as soon as hired candidates are available. Candidates must be available to work through at least September 30th; work may continue through December 31st. Field work is weather dependent. The COVID-19 pandemic may result in changes to the duration of this position. Candidates must specify intended start and end dates in their cover letter.
Pay is $13.00/hour ($14 for returning technicians). Technicians are expected to work 40 hours per week; hours per week are weather dependent. CVRPC will reimburse job-related expenses, such as mileage costs, at the allowable federal rate. Standard work week is Monday-Friday. Standard work day is 8 am – 5 pm.
- Interest in the planning profession and relevant planning specializations. Undergraduate students, graduate students, and new graduates are invited to apply. A degree in planning or a related field is not required for this position.
- The employee must be flexible in their scheduling and have their own means of transportation.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or otherwise lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
Employed candidates will receive training in using tablets, inventory applications, and other field-based equipment and technology.
- Gain experience communicating directly with municipal officials and the public.
- Participate in project and Commission meetings.
- Learn how data and information is used in different aspects of the planning field.
- Gain experience working in a dynamic team and on your own initiative.
- Expand “soft skills” critical to advancement in today’s job market.
Work Environment / Culture
- Collaborative work
- Opportunity for all workers to contribute ideas
- Sense of community
- Employee/team recognition and/or celebrations
- Diversity valued, welcomed and encouraged
- Casual Dress
Your application will consist of a cover letter, resume, and contact information (telephone number and email address) for three references. Please direct your cover letter to Bonnie Waninger, Executive Director, Central Vermont Regional Planning Commission, 29 Main Street, Suite 4, Montpelier, VT 05602. Click on the”Apply” button on this page to complete an application form and upload your cover letter, resume, and reference list. Position is available until filled.