Vermont Energy Investment Corporation
Finance Intern | Summer
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Position Starts: June 8, 2020
End Date: August 14, 2020
Location: Burlington, VT
Main Focus of Internship:
VEIC is a sustainable energy company with a mission to enhance the economic, environmental, and societal benefits of clean and efficient energy use for all people. Headquartered in Vermont with offices in Ohio, Washington D.C., and New York state, VEIC has over 32 years’ experience transforming energy systems, specializing in energy efficiency, clean transportation, and renewable energy. In addition to its full-service consulting business, VEIC operates three large-scale energy efficiency utilities: Efficiency Vermont, Efficiency Smart, and the DC Sustainable Energy Utility (DCSEU); and has launched three mission-aligned subsidiaries that promote community-level solutions for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
We are seeking a motivated Financial Intern who is ready to apply knowledge of business practices and processes in a fast-paced, real-world environment. S/he will assist in financial system maintenance and testing, preparing data visualizations, preparing and/or reviewing monthly financial reporting, and assist in making recommendations to improve effectiveness and efficiency in financial systems and processes.
The primary function of the Finance Intern will be to:
- Assist with financial system maintenance and configuration;
- Assist with the development and execution of financial system testing plans;
- Update operational, configuration, or other procedural financial system documentation;
- Perform data analyses by collecting and analyzing data from multiple systems;
- Support the preparation and/or review of monthly financial reporting;
- Provide support for accounts payable and accounts receivable with ongoing processing and reporting;
- May assist with additional projects upon request.
Knowledge and Experience
- Strong personal commitment to the mission, vision, goals and values of VEIC.
- Computer skills including proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and database software including extensive Windows and Microsoft Office applications experience essential.
- Superior interpersonal skills and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and as part of a team.
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills; the ability to meet deadlines on a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Able to investigate non-standard requests and problems, with some assistance from others.
- Progress towards a bachelor’s degree in a business, accounting, finance or similar concentration. Completion of introduction to accounting coursework is highly desired.
- Individuals with disabilities, veterans, students from underrepresented minority groups, and students from two-year colleges are strongly encouraged to apply.
Internal – Work is normally performed in climate controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computers, telephones, etc.). No known environmental hazards are encountered in normal performance of job duties.
External – No travel is required.
Work involves standing and walking for brief periods of time, but most duties are performed from a seated position. There is potential for eyestrain from reading detailed materials and computer screen. Deadlines, workloads during peak periods and changing priorities may cause increased stress levels. Work may include occasional pushing, pulling, or carrying objects weighing of approximately 40 pounds such as files, documents, and computer equipment and materials. Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboards at a moderate skill level. Repetitive motion injuries may occur. Company will provide adaptive devices as needed.
Your application will consist of a cover letter and resume. Please direct your cover letter to Brent McGlynn, HR & Facilities Coordinator, Vermont Energy Investment Corporation, 128 Lakeside Avenue, Suite 401, Burlington, VT 05401. Click on the”Apply” button on this page to complete an intake form and you will be redirected to VEIC’s human resources page to upload your cover letter and resume. Applications due by Friday, February 21st.