Chelsea Green Publishing
Editorial Intern | Spring
Hours Per Week: 40
Position Starts: 1/13/2020
End Date: 3-months
Location: White River Junction
Main Focus of Internship:
Chelsea Green Publishing is recognized as a leading publisher of books on the politics and practice of sustainable living, publishing authors who bring in-depth, practical knowledge to life, and give readers hands-on information related to organic farming and gardening, permaculture, ecology, the environment, simple living, food, sustainable business and economics, green building, and more. Chelsea Green has been an employee-owned company since 2012 and have been printing books on recycled paper since 1985, when our books first appeared in bookstores. We lead the industry both in terms of content—foundational books on renewable energy, green building, organic agriculture, eco-cuisine, and ethical business—and in terms of environmental practice, printing 95 percent of our books on recycled paper with a minimum 30 percent post-consumer waste and aiming for 100 percent whenever possible. We also print our books in North America, as opposed to overseas like many publishers, with most of our printing partners based in the United States.
Chelsea Green is hiring for the position of Editorial Intern to be based in our White River Junction office. The editorial intern supports the Chelsea Green editorial department with administrative, database, clerical, and research responsibilities.
- Determine, under the guidance of the Senior Editor and Editorial Assistant, or other editors within the department, the appropriate response to unsolicited submissions, (i.e. acknowledging and tracking submissions, and passing them on for further review or preparing a letter of rejection) and submit weekly reports of all decisions.
- Review proposals circulated by editorial staff for consideration at editorial meetings and be prepared to offer verbal or written assessments as requested.
- Monitor, maintain, and update book specs, endorsements (blurbs), mailings, and other information in Quickbase.
- Process book contracts as they come in, announce new acquisitions, and monitor advance and other editorial payments.
- Maintain Awards database and review it regularly, deleting awards that no longer exist or are inappropriate for our titles. Make monthly submission recommendations to the editors and handle all aspects of submissions and awards won.
- Administrative tasks, including: mailings (either from the WRJ office or in concert with Sales Assistant and the warehouse), editorial projects (manuscript organization, art program review and organization, fact checking, research); taking and distributing editorial meeting notes.
- Provide general support to production department, including reviewing the completeness and organization of manuscripts and art programs submitted by editors to production.
This is a position for a motivated self-starter with a demonstrated interest in sustainability issues and publishing. Duties combine administrative and editorial functions and require the ability to work within a team environment as well as work independently. Must have: strong communication, writing, and interpersonal skills; ability to work in fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; strong computer skills and proficiency in Word and Excel; comfort with administrative tasks.
Work Culture / Environment
- Collaborative work
- Opportunity for all workers to contribute ideas
- Independent/autonomous work
- Access to managers who can act as mentors
- Diversity valued, welcomed and encouraged
- Creative work
- Casual Dress
Your application will consist of a cover letter and resume. Please direct your cover letter to Michael Metivier, Senior Editor, Chelsea Green Publishing, 85 North Main Street, Suite 120, White River Junction, VT 05001. Click on the”Apply” button on this page to complete an application form and upload your cover letter and resume. Position is available until filled.