Community Food Systems Intern | ASAP
Hours Per Week: 15
Position Starts: ASAP
End Date: 10/30/2020
Location: Brattleboro, VT
Main Focus of Internship:
The mission of the Vermont Foodbank is to gather and share quality food and nurture partnerships so that no Vermonter will go hungry. We strive to work collaboratively with all of the communities we serve throughout Vermont and do our work through a wide variety of community based programming and partnerships. This internship would have an opportunity to work within the regional food system specifically through the Foodbank’s gleaning program. Gleaning is the act of harvesting and gathering surplus or “seconds” from farms. The Gleaning Program is a key part of this mission. Through gleaning we are able to collect fresh and nutritious food that might otherwise go to waste. It gets delivered to food shelves, meal sights, and senior centers throughout Vermont.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Work cooperatively with staff and volunteers to support the mission of the Vermont Foodbank, and meet and sustain Foodbank goals.
- Assist the GCOC with the gleaning & harvesting of produce on regional farms in the Windham County region. This position requires work outside in all types of weather conditions including lifting, bending, pushing and pulling.
- Adhere to all safety issues affecting the movement and handling of food.
Skills and Abilities:
- Interest in community-based gleaning, food systems, and agriculture
- Must be able to repeatedly lift 40-60 pounds.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team and communicate effectively with diverse groups of people and work in partnership with other staff.
- The individual must understand and agree with the vision and mission of the Vermont Foodbank and be committed to providing services to people facing situations of hunger and poverty.
- Responsible for driving Vermont Foodbank vehicles during delivery. Must feel comfortable driving; offer contingent upon receipt of a clear, three- year DMV record check.
- The position will be provided with a laptop for research and email communication. The position is responsible for providing their own cell phone to use during gleaning and deliveries.
Desired Skills, Attributes, and Knowledge
Looking for someone who is passionate about local food systems and is interested in developing hands-on experience within local food systems and charitable food operations. The person in this position must be willing to do hands-on, physical work outside while gleaning but also have the ability to connect that hands-on work to larger systems-level critical thinking.
A basic knowledge of the community actors and partnerships in the Brattleboro region would be beneficial but is certainly not required.
Educational / Professional Development Outcomes
The person in this position will gain hands-on learning experience and direct mentorship in all aspects of operating a localized food rescue program, including: coordination with local farms, volunteer engagement and management, best agricultural harvesting practices, food safety standards, and charitable food delivery models.
This position will also provide the opportunity to think on a systems-level and engage creatively around local food distribution in the area. There will be the opportunity for semi-autonomous work in creating a new local charitable food distribution model for the Vermont Foodbank, from original vision to final execution.
This internship will also provide ongoing educational opportunities for first-hand knowledge about the programming and operations of the work of the Vermont Foodbank, our food pantry and community partners, as well as local farm operations.
There will be opportunities for this position to engage in written material, online training opportunities, and educational meetings relating to food systems and charitable food work, as well as anti-racism work within food systems, as time allows.
Your application will consist of a cover letter and resume. Please direct your cover letter to Zach Herbert, Community Outreach & Gleaning Coordinator, Vermont Foodbank, 22 Browne Ct #108, Brattleboro, VT 05301. Click on the”Apply” button on this page to complete an application form and upload your cover letter and resume. Position is available until filled.