Center for Autism and Related Disorders
Behavior Technician 1 | Summer
Hours Per Week: 15-30
Position Starts: June 1, 2019
End Date: 1 year
Location: Colchester, VT
Main Focus of Internship:
The Center for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD) is the world’s oldest and largest autism treatment provider. Founded in 1990, CARD now has more than 230 locations throughout the United States. If you are interested in working with teens and adults affected by autism spectrum disorder and/or with exceptional needs, we invite you to explore CARD’s job postings with the knowledge that CARD provides all training, including extensive initial and ongoing training and support. CARD is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Behavior technicians implement center, school, community, and home-based treatment programs for CARD patients and their families using applied behavior analysis (ABA). CARD behavior technicians are an integral part of the therapy team as their work directly contributes to patient and family success. Behavior technicians report to the CARD behavior analysts. In addition to frequent interactions as part of the therapy team, behavior technicians receive individualized mentorship from experienced behavior analysts to ensure the highest quality service. This is an hourly, non-exempt, part-time position.
The CARD behavior therapist will be trained to work with teens and adults with exceptional needs and their families/caregivers. Acquire valuable career skills, such as:
- Understand autism and how to treat the deficits and behaviors associated with the diagnosis;
- Learn applied behavior analysis (ABA) principles and procedures;
- Implement treatment plans across multiple domains, including language, social, cognitive, executive functions, adaptive, and independent living, as well as pre-employment and vocational skills;
- How to reduce problem behavior;
- How to implement ABA programs in the natural environment, such as the home, school, place of employment, and community; and
- Work with apps, games, and web-based technology via an iPad
- Willing to work with children with exceptional needs
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Your own vehicle with proof of auto insurance or another reliable means of transportation
- Must pass TB test and criminal background check
- Availability to work 2-3 weekday afternoon or evening shifts (2-8pm) and 1 weekend day shift (9am-5pm)
Desired Skills, Attributes, and Knowledge
Eager, energetic, and passionate demeanor.
Educational/Professional Development Outcomes
- Competitive hourly rate commensurate with experience and geographic region
- Comprehensive paid initial and ongoing training
- Flexible part-time schedules
- Travel time pay and mileage reimbursement
- Paid sick time & opportunities for paid holidays
- Sponsorship to earn credentials to advance your career including the Board Certified Autism Technician (BCAT) and the Registered -Behavior Technician (RBT)
- Monthly socials, trainings, and awards
- Educational Assistance Program for Master’s in psychology and/or Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) preparation program.
- Collaborative work
- Employee/team recognition and/or celebrations
- Independent/autonomous work
- Access to managers who can act as mentors
- Respect based upon accomplishments, not seniority
- Creative work
- Casual Dress
- Opportunities to grow: find a career path, not just a job
- Opportunities to learn: use training and mentorship to improve your skills
- Opportunities to make a difference: patients learn skills that help them communicate and be more independent in their everyday lives, and you are the catalyst for that.
Training & Mentorship
- Initial training and competency evaluation
- Training overlaps and fieldwork observations
- Ongoing weekly supervision
- Ongoing monthly mentorship, clinic, training and staff meetings
- Opportunities for further credentialing
Your application will consist of a cover letter and resume. Please direct your cover letter to Taylor Martel, Clinical Supervisor Designee, Center for Autism and Related Disorders, 462 Hegeman Ave, Colchester, VT 05446. Click on the”Apply” button on this page to complete an application form and upload your cover letter and resume. Position is available until filled.