King Arthur Flour
Bakery Intern | Ongoing
Hours Per Week: Full-time
Position Starts: Any time throughout the year
End Date: 12-16 weeks
Pay: Based on experience
Location: Norwich, VT
Main Focus of Internship:
King Arthur Flour is an employee-owned company, every one of us bakers at heart. Our mission is to inspire connections and community by spreading the joy of baking. King Arthur Flour has a long and storied history, stretching back nearly to the American Revolution. We’ve been providing bakers with superior flour since 1790: from Martha Washington’s apple pie through the invention of the chocolate chip cookie, from flour in wooden barrels to bags at the supermarket, we’ve been there. Simply put, King Arthur Flour and American baking have been close companions since the very beginning.
Are you a full time baking and pastry student currently enrolled in a degree-granting educational program? Is waking up to make cakes all day pretty much a dream? Sweet—we think so too! The King Arthur Flour Bakery is looking for interns to join our Norwich, Vermont team for 12 to 16 week-long internships (throughout the calendar year). You should be hardworking, have great attention to detail, and be ready to apply yourself in a team-centric and fast-paced environment.
Our interns get real hands-on experience, and you’ll learn from our expert team of bakers as you work side-by-side. Interns perform a wide variety of bakery tasks from scooping cookies to shaping loaves as well as cake work and lamination in addition to sanitation and much more around the bakery.
Our expectation is that the intern develops the skills to be a productive team member during the duration of the internship. The candidate should have experience in food service, good attention to detail and the willingness to work efficiently in a team environment. Candidates from a culinary institute are preferred.
Interns are responsible for housing, meals, and transportation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION
- Acquire accuracy and proficiency in scaling, mixing, baking and finish work
- Learn & follow proper production procedures
- Maintain food safety and sanitation standards
- Adhere to Bakery Good Manufacturing Practices
- Acquire knowledge of, and ability to use, standard commercial baking equipment
- Be punctual
- Self-monitor progress during internship and communicate any needs and wants to bakery leads
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS & DESIRED SKILLS
- Desire to learn the skills to produce high-quality bakery products
- Flexibility with scheduling
- Availability to work different shifts to help with scheduling and absence coverage
- Availability to work weekends
- Ability to interact well with others (team members, customers, etc.)
- Ability to multitask
- Team player
- Good communication skills
- Foster a positive work relationship with co-workers
- Willing to share space, ingredients and equipment with coworkers during production
- Willing to do the dishes and sanitize bakery
- A desire for continuously improving baking skills
- Enthusiasm for baking
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Culinary or baking and pastry students with experience working in a hands-on production bakery or food service establishment are preferred.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and stand for 8-hour shift
- Stamina to work quickly and accurately in a busy production bakery