Click on the + symbol to see details for each committee. If you’re interested in serving on a committee, please click here.
The Nominating Committee consists of up to seven people elected by the board of directors. The committee manages all aspects of board elections and awards including 1) identifying, soliciting and nominating a diverse array of nominees for the VBSR board of directors, VBSR Nominating Committee & VBSR Awards and 2) ensuring the criteria, eligibility and selection process for nominations is user-friendly, fair, aligned with VBSR values, and clearly communicated.
All VBSR members are eligible to serve. We look for committee members who:
- Know Vermont businesses & business leaders
- Appreciate and encourage diversity
- Value the needs, priorities and processes of the organization
- Are familiar with the VBSR community
- Can attend meetings 4-5 times/year (in-person or remote), each lasting one to two hours
- Will participate in committee discussions conducted via email in between meetings
Current Nominating Committee members are: Yola Carlough, Adeline Druart, Ken Merritt, Avram Patt, Duane Peterson, Chair.
Using strategic priorities outlined by the board as a foundation and working closely with staff, the DEVO Committee provides guidance in terms of our program goals and objectives. With fascinating “deep dives” into specific activities, the committee may also recommend potential benefits that could be gained from integrating or assimilating various VBSR programs.
All VBSR members are welcome to participate. We look for committee members who:
- Have a desire to grow VBSR’s offerings
- Think and problem solve creatively
- Can attend 6 meetings per year, with occasional homework
- Have relevant personal expertise (marketing, web, etc)
The Finance Committee oversees VBSR’s budget and financial well-being. It is also responsible for oversight of financial management systems, and it typically meets quarterly. The committee consists of board members who:
- Appreciate the importance of solid financial management
- Have relevant personal expertise, such as a good understanding of financial reporting and management
The Program Committee works to plan effective, educational, and fun events throughout the year. This includes advising on content development and planning for annual conferences, networking Get-Togethers and additional programs. The Committee works closely with VBSR’s Executive Director, VBSR’s Events & Education Manager, the Committee Chair (a VBSR Board Member) and Committee Vice Chair (a VBSR Member).
All VBSR members are welcome to participate. We prioritize committee members who:
- Are passionate about enhancing the value of VBSR programs for members
- Are creative thinkers and brainstorming problem-solvers
- Can attend quarterly, 90-minute, in-person meetings
- Can commit to work outside of and between Committee meetings
Note: being on the Committee does not exclude you from presenting at conferences or hosting Get-Togethers
Public Policy Committee
The Public Policy Committee is a formal group that meets monthly to develop VBSR’s policy and positions and works closely with the Public Policy Manager and the VBSR Board. The board appoints public policy committee members from within the VBSR membership.
Policy Issues Group
The VBSR Policy Issues Group is an informal group of members interested in learning about or participating in VBSR’s policy work. We always encourage new contributors to join our Policy Issues Group. Members help shape public policy, receive regular emails during the legislative session, are called upon to testify, write letters to the editor and/or attend public hearings. The Policy Issues Group is open to all VBSR Members.
The Executive Committee members are elected by the board, and the committee includes board officers and the previous chairperson. It meets between board meetings and can make decisions for the board except for policy decisions. Terms are for two years, and members can serve up to two consecutive terms. The committee is reaffirmed at the end of each odd year (i.e. 2015, 2017 etc.).