There are several ways to allow employees more time for family, exercising, and personal interests. Employees with dependents and other employees are often juggling multiple challenges in terms of scheduling and transportation, and some simple practices can help them.
- Adjusting or flexing work schedules as possible can help accommodate the work schedule for transporting dependents to/from care facilities or activities.
- Adjusting or flexing work schedules as possible can help accommodate the work schedule of other family members or public transportation or car/vanpools.
- Some organizations use “Freedom Fridays” to let employees take off one or more Fridays a month during a specific season (e.g., to enjoy summer sunshine or winter skiing).
- Ten-hour workdays allow for three-day weekends, which can save employees’ expenses for transportation or dependent care; or help those wishing for more personal time.
- Some departments or positions may not be able to change hours or flex schedules, and this can cause inequities in the culture.
Also see the Transportation section.