Evolving Regulations and Emerging Contaminants Conference
The conference will cover new and proposed regulations related to groundwater, contaminated and Brownfield properties, hazardous waste, as well as an update on Vermont’s testing and regulation of emerging contaminants such as PFOA. It will be led by a combination of VT DEC regulators and industry professionals, and geared toward environmental consultants, attorneys, developers, real estate professionals, and the regulatory community. Please pre-register by May 17th to get a lunch.
To Register: http://www.vectogether.org/vec-events/spring-conference/
For More Info: (802) 747-7900 or firstname.lastname@example.org
View Evolving Regulations and Emerging Contaminants DRAFT Agenda below. Speakers are subject to change.
8:00am – 8:45am-Registration & Networking
8:45am – 8:50am-Welcome – Miles Waite, President, VT Env. Consortium (VEC)
8:50am – 9:15am-Opening Remarks – Patricia Moulton, Interim President, Vermont Tech (VTC) & Julie Moore, Secretary, VT Agency of Natural Resources
9:15am – 10:15am-VT DEC Rule Updates: Patricia Coppolino, DEC Waste Management and Prevention Division (DWMPD); Matt Moran, DEC Commissioner’s Office, VT Dept. of Environmental Conservation (VT DEC)
- Investigation and Remediation of Contaminated Properties Rule (I RULE)
- Extended talk to cover Background Soil Study
- Hazardous Waste Management Regulations Update – Steve Simoes, DWMPD
- Others Rules & Topics (Net Metering Rule, Solid Waste Management Rules, Natural Resources Damage Act, LEAN / ANR On Line)
10:15am – 10:45am-Break, networking. Please visit Exhibitors.
10: 45am – 12:00pm-Perfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS): Richard Spiese (VT DEC) Moderator, DWMPD
- Considerations for PFAS Investigations – Richard Spiese
- Bennington / Pownal Updates – Jonathan Kim, Ph.D, Geologist/Environmental Scientist, VT Geological Survey; David Bond, Cultural Anthropologist, Bennington College
- Regulations / health advisory – Sarah Vose, State Toxicologist, VT Department of Health
- Lessons Learned – Consultant’s Perspective – Steve LaRosa, Senior Project Manager, Weston & Sampson Engineers
12:00pm – 1:15pm Lunch in Dining Hall, networking. Please visit Exhibitors after lunch.
1:15pm – 2:30pm- Groundwater Protection Rule and Strategy: Michael Smith and Scott Stewart (VT DEC) Co-Moderators
- New Primary VGES – Michael Smith or Scott Stewart, VT DEC
- Groundwater Reclassification – Kasey Kathan, VT DEC DWMPD
- Backlog of Vermont Sites
- Streamlined Process
- Bedrock Groundwater Quality Assessment
- New Methods (FLUTE, etc.) – Carl Keller, Principal Scientist, Flute; & Eric Sweich, PG, Vermont Hydrogeo, LLC
2:30pm – 3:00pm- Break, networking. Please visit exhibitors.
3:00pm – 4:15pm- Emerging Topics: VT Environmental Consortium to Moderate
- How to Manage Urban Soils – Kurt Muller, P.E., Senior Engineer, The Johnson Company
- Stormwater Infiltration at Hazardous Sites – Peter Smiar, P.E., VHB
- PCBs in Building Materials – Tom Broido, Principal Scientist, ATC Group Services
4: 15pm Closing Remarks