Nominations – August through October
VBSR especially welcomes nominations for new board members who identify as women and non-binary, people of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, rural businesses, and other identities and lived experiences traditionally underrepresented in dominant business culture.
- VBSR accepts nominations for new board members year-round. We also issue a “Call for Nominations” to all VBSR members, typically in August. In addition, VBSR’s Nominating Committee proactively seeks to identify and build relationships with prospective board members with organizational and personal identities currently underrepresented in VBSR’s Board of Directors.
- To nominate yourself, please complete the Candidate Profile form. To nominate someone else, please complete this form instead.
- To help us maintain a balance of perspectives on VBSR’s Board of Directors, all nominees are asked to complete a candidate profile, including the candidate’s organizational identity (i.e. size of organization, geography, industry), personal identity (i.e. career stage, gender identity, lived experience), skills, knowledge, and interests.
- The Nominating Committee meets to consider the nominations and select candidates to interview. The Committee looks for a demonstrated commitment to the mission, vision, and values of VBSR and optimum board diversity based upon multiple factors.
- By October, the committee recommends a “slate” of board candidates to the full board.
Election & New Terms – November through January
- After the board approves the “slate” VBSR holds an election in which all current members are eligible to vote. Members receive an electronic ballot as well as background information on the candidates, and have 14 days to vote following receipt of the ballot.
- New board members commence terms January 1.
For more information on eligibility and criteria for the VBSR Board, please see our nomination page and the VBSR Board of Directors Job Description. For more information about the Nominating Committee, please see our committee info.